Eldridge Street Synagogue
This was the first major Synagogue on the Lower East Side to be established by Eastern European Jews. Earlier, synagogues had been built by Jews from Western Europe and the Eldridge Street congregation was determined to assert its presence in the community through the design of its new synagogue. They commissioned the Hunter Brothers, one of the outstanding architectural firms of the 1880's, to design a building with Morrish, Gothic, and Romanesque elements. This is considered the finest of any Lower East Side synagogue. Completed in 1887, the building suffered when the Jews left the neighborhood; the sanctuary was sealed in the 1930's and was not reopened until the 1970's. The synagogue today is undergoing a major restoration.
The artist was inspired to do this painting after taking a tour given by the Jewish museum.